Thursday, March 8, 2012

Trucker Chic!

So, as most of you know I was lucky enough to take a trip to Hawaii a few weeks ago...
I showed you guys my cute handmade bags over on our FB page but here they are again:
I justified this as my new "travel purse"

I justified this as my new "laptop bag".

But probably my most favorite purchase was this hat.

I spent WAY too much on it, as did my friend Catie (also wearing a new hat).
Because mine had a lace overlay, it was more...just my luck.
I spent $42.
Catie spent $36.
Outrageous, right?
So when I got home, Nikki and I decided to make our own.
I drove to 6 different truck stops and finally found 2 hats at the DI that clearly needed a little love.
{p.s. foam hats are WAY easier..}

We took two pieces from the fabric scraps and some embroidery thread and got to work.


Now, if you'll notice the rest of the pictures are of me sewing my hat..
Why you ask?  Because Nikki whipped hers out in about 10 minutes.
I soon found that my $42 was well spent! Because it took me A LOT longer.. sewing is not for me!
But we did end up making our hats for a whopping $2 {plus time}

We started at the brim, in the corner with a simple X stitch, went across the brim and then up both sides.  Then when you get to the top you'll cut down the center.  Put one side down, then the other. We tucked the edges of our top piece under for a cleaner look, then tucked the ends (near the button on the hat) under so it was also hidden, then continued our X stitches across and down the fold (this helps it to not have a pointy look)


And Voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for participating, we welcome your sugar but you can keep the spice! ;)